Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 AM
David Hershey

In sweet potato tuberous roots or storage roots, the shoots sprout
from adventitious buds.

http://www.cipotato.org/training/Mat...tato%201-1.htm

In potato tubers, the buds are not adventitious because the tuber is a
modified stem with buds or "eyes" at each node. Sweet potato tuberous
roots have no nodes.

http://trc.ucdavis.edu/egsutter/plb1...71VMTubers.htm
http://trc.ucdavis.edu/egsutter/plb1...uber-Roots.htm

David R. Hershey

wrote in message . ..

It's been a long long time since I sprouted a sweet potato in water as
a houseplant -- I don't think kids do this any more because commercial
ones are now treated with a sprouting inhibitor. I suppose I could seek
out some organically grown ones. I don't remember just where the roots
and shoots sprout from -- if not from eyes, where?