Old 29-11-2004, 12:58 AM
J Fortuna

Gene,

Let me preface this by saying that while I know very little about orchid
judging, I studied comparative international relations and cultural studies,
and this response is based on this experience.

I would think that both of them can be "right", even when their conclusions
are very different.

Since the RHS is in Great Britain and the AOS is in the US, I would expect
cultural differences in aesthetic perception.

For example, the American judges might perceive larger flower size a plus,
whereas it's possible that in another culture the larger flower size might
be considered a disadvantage since the large flowers might be less
aesthetically appealing. So even if the judges were using strict criteria,
and no favoritism and no internal politics (a big if I assume), even then I
would expect differences in awards.

Since aesthetics is a huge part of judging orchids, I would think that an
orchid cannot be found "objectively" to be superior to another, unless one
is clearly in bad shape and the other is truly well grown. I expect that all
of the orchids brought to a show for judging are well grown and subjectively
considered superior to many others by at least one experienced grower (the
one who submits the plant for judging). The orchid that wins the highest
award can be described as considered superior by the judges in this culture
at this time (and the majority of contemporary orchid growers in this same
culture may or may not agree with these judges), but I would be surprised if
there were any single plant that could possibly get the highest award in all
cultures or in all time periods.

Joanna

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
k.net...
Thanks for the info about 'Bodant'. I didn't know it had an AM/AOS.

I find the whole judging thing interesting. When one organization
considers a plant with top honors another looks at it and gives it

something
less it makes you wonder who is right.

Good growing,
Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
If you looked in Wildcatt for previous AOS awards remember that Wildcatt
doesn't include any of the awards from the Register of Awards (the RA).

So
there's a whole mess o' previous awards that aren't listed.

FC Puddle has 3 AOS awards including one on 'Bodnant' - an AM of 80

points
granted in New York in November 1958.

As to RHS vs AOS ease of awards... wel they kinda sorta are different
animals.

The judging system - IIRC - in England is based on acclaimation. The

judges
all agree that the flower is of a certain quality and grant the award.

can't recall if the Judges score the flower, toss out the high and low

and
average the remaining scores or not.

The AOS has a point scoring system. Only one judge is needed for a team

judge a flower. Then a team judges the flower, the scores must all be
within 6 points of each other, the scores are averaged and results in

the
pointed award.

I always thought it was a bit harder to get a RHS award. For one thing

they
don't have the HCC so a flower must be of a certain calibre in order to

even
be considered for judging. Plus the judges themselves are a class

amongst
themselves. One becomes an RHS judge by acclaimation, too, when the

other
RHS judges decide you know enough to judge.

Imagine the AOS system without the HCC award. There's be nothing to
print...*G*

K Barrett
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a Paphiopedilum F. C. Puddle 'Bodnant' FCC/RHS (Actaeus x

Astarte)
division about to come into bloom. I noticed it was awarded an FCC

from
the
RHS but I don't seem to find any AOS awards for this or any F. C.

Puddle.

Why is this? Are the RHS awards easier to get than an AOS award? Or

was
this awarded a long long time ago?

Good growing,
Gene