Old 02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Phred

In article , wrote:
In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:
I received this query today and don't have any info. Can anyone offer
an answer or personal experience?

I think you've gotten a good answer regarding edibility.

White sweet potatoes seem to be the most popular kinds in Korea and Japan.
The Korean greengrocers here all stock them and no other kinds. The ones
I see all have red skin. I find them dry and bland tasting, much inferior
to the usual moist orange or yellow fleshed kind, but perhaps in Korean
and Japanese cuisine they are prepared in a way that takes advantage of
the difference in culinary properties.

The sweet bucks of my childhood (grown by my uncle and cooked with the
roast chook for that special Sunday dinner -- at midday, in the
tropics, for crissake! ) had a slightly greenish tinge internally
when cooked and a very slightly "stringy" texture (more visual than
physical). I don't remember their skin colour, but they were
*delicious* with a crisp outer shell from the oven roasting. :-)

I've got a patch of the orange fleshed kind in the backyard here; but
I admit they're basically just going wild (and doing it very tough due
to high temperatures and no rain) and I rarely think to harvest some
for a feed.

I'm told by a bloke who was breeding them here that the very sweet,
orange types are often used as a sweet (e.g. in desserts) in other
parts of the world; but it's not a common way of using them here in Oz
AFAIK.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID