Old 28-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"omi" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
I just got "Wild Fermentation," which has more than anybody needs to know
about pickles, kraut and more, with a lot of background on the cultures
that invented these things (Who thought burying a bunch of fish in the
ground to make sauce was a good idea). I like that sort of stuff. But
then, I'm weird.

Sounds like a new way to make lutefisk . Not that I would ever like to make
it. Or smell it.

I want Gary to expand on the recipe a bit.

It reminds me of the buried casks of anchovies all Quang Nam province
in Vietnam that were fermenting to make Nuoc mam. I think they
were just layers of fish and salt-- buried to keep the temp more or
less steady- and turning into an unforgettable condiment in a few
months. [I happen to like it. It doesn't seem to be agree with most
westerners.]

Jim