Old 02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:00:58 +0000 (UTC), "Trefor Jones"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me the best way of overwintering pelargoniums? I

had
some in the border which I have lifted, potted up and put in a

cold
frame and some other potted ones in the porch that have stopped
flowering. (The present Mrs Jones has issued an ultimatum - she
wants the space for her cyclamen and azales which are flowering.)
The pelagoniums in the cold frame have been badly scorched by the
recent frosts. I haven't got a greenhouse, the garage is not

really
frost proof but I have got space under the house though but they
would be in the dark all winter. Any ideas?

Ours are on bedroom window ledges. I used to over winter them in

an
office at work at one time.

Geoffrey Smith once said on GQT that we should wrap them in newspaper
and stash them on top of the wardrobe in the unheated unheated spare
room. I've never tried that ruthless approach, as I've always kept
them growing on windowsills all over the place throughout the winter:
they'll keep on flowering, though they may look a bit scruffy. Then
chop them back in late Feb, and use the new shoots as cuttings to
make fresh plants.

Mike.