Old 30-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Derek Broughton

kc wrote:

Well, I just went outside to discover my poor little goldfish swimming
around in 12" of water instead of 2 feet or more--as it is there are too
many goldfish (had babies) for my 1,000 gallon pond--probably about
24....I inherited this pvc or rubber lined pond with my house and don't
even know where to start to find the leak, but in the meantime, I need to
replace the water--can I safely add it back in if I use appropriate
declorinator? Thanks for your help.

Note that "volume" is not nearly as important as surface area, and 24
goldfish in 500 gallons is not at all unreasonable, anyway, so you may be
well-advised not to refill right now, anyway. The surface area probably
hasn't shrunk that much.

Turn off any pumps/water falls - that's your most likely leakage. Note
exactly the level it has stopped at (if, in fact it has stopped). That way
you know at what level it's leaking if it's actually the liner. Add just a
couple of inches of water and see if you can spot where it's leaking (milk
is supposed to work for showing you where). If it doesn't lost any water,
then you can reasonably expect it's the plumbing/waterfall. Fill it up,
then check the plumbing.
--
derek