Old 30-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Mark Bannister

24 watts could easily be overwhelmed by a long hard freeze I would
think. At 110 volts 1240 watts is only a little over 11 amps
(1250watts/110 volts), not really all that much. You may have a weak
circuit breaker. A typical 110 volt line would be on a 20-30 amp
breaker (I guess this depends on where you live). If it's an older
system with fuses don't just put a larger fuse in. I'm assuming you're
in the US of course. Amperage would be about have that in most of
Western Europe but it is all relative.

rtk wrote:

They're both called de-icers. The Little Giant, at 1250 watts, blew the
fuse, but it definitely does not say heater on the box; it says de-icer.
I've ordered a different one from PetSolutions which is 100 and also
called a de-icer. I don't get it. How can there be such a variation?
If 100 or even only 24 (MarineDepot) works to maintain a hole in the
ice, what's the point of a whopping 1250 if it is not intended to do
more than that?

Ruth Kazez