Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Nikki Casali

Robert Flory wrote:
" wrote in message
om...

"Michi Henning" wrote in message

cabaloz" wrote in message

At the moment I am at the mid-point of a 2 week treatment using a
product
called Azoo Brush Algae Killer, recently renamed to Brush Magic. The
staff
at my LFS confess that it works a treat, we'll see.

Be prepared for some fish deaths. Especially catfish seem to be
susceptible.
The Azoo product contains high levels of copper (I measure it), which is
toxic to fish. And you may see some plant deaths as well -- especially
Vallisneria tends to melt away and die. The stuff does reduce brush
algae though, I admit that (although it didn't eradicate in my case).
But,
personally, I wouldn't use it again -- too hard on the fish.

Cheers,

Michi.

Michi is correct, Cu is very effective at killing BBA and does little
harm when used correctly to some species of plants, others will die
like flies though.

You can use Blue Stone, available froma pharmacy, it 's CuSO4.

See APD for long ago methods of using copper. Neil Frank played with
it for awhile, I tried way back before I knew better and what was the
root cause of the BBA.

Now, I'd never suggest anyone use it
Add more CO2 and use that correctly, killing algae is not your goal,
growing plants is, therefore provide the plants with good conditions
and you will not have algae. CO2= 20-30ppm the entire photoperoid.

No aquascaper/decent grower worth their salt uses algicides.
Guess why?

They grow the plants well.
Then the algae does not grow.

So focus on growing the plants, not killing algae.

Regards,
Tom barr

Tom's method works. My first planted tank was being taken over by BBA. It
was bushier than my beard. Adding nitrates and uping my CO2 cured the
problem.

What were these CO2 levels? I'm wondering the safest, highest level of
CO2 I can have in my tank, taking into account inaccuracies of pH
measurements, before it poses a danger to the fish.

Nikki