Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Mike

Default Eclipse 12 lighting

I have a planted eclipse 12 tank that I end up replacing the plants in
every 3-5 months. Most plants will grow very well for 2-3 months then
start to die off. Water chemistry stays relatively the same. I've read
that the 13Watts of lighting in my tank isn't enough and I currently
do not add CO2 because I don't want to deal with pH spikes, but I'm
considering it.

I've looked into the CustomSeaLife SuperNova SmartLite 32Watt retrofit
for the eclipse 12 but:
1. Its pricey, $60ish
2. Its hard to find since CSL went out of business
3. It comes with 6500k/Actinic bulb and I have no use for actinic
light in my freshwater tank. A replacement bulb where both tubes are
6500k seems to be about $25 more.

So a total of $80 + shipping costs because I can't get it locally,
when I've spent maybe $15 in plants over the last year..

Has anyone with an eclipse 12 made a DIY lighting setup thats cheaper?