Old 05-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Dr Pond

Teddy Wrote:
Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond.
Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground
for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill
the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

Do you have a pump installed and if so is it running 24 hours a day.
Most good commercially available pumps should be left on 24 hours which
will help the water clarity and oxygenation process for fish and plants.
Mozzies do not like moving water therefore if you don't already have a
pump installing one would be a good idea.

Native fish are also a good idea but will still require a pump. Use
fish native to your area only and try to stay away from exotic fish
like goldfish in such a small pond. Goldfish eat frog spawn and
mozzies. Whereas native fish will eat mozzies alone. A good Australian
Native is Pacific Blue Eye and in a pond your size do not add any more
than 4-5 fish as you will then start to encounter water pollution
generated by fish waste. Ensure to feed your fish with a QUALITY fish
food that is low in ash.

For more information I suggest you visit my website which is PACKED
with information on Ponds, Wtaer Features, Water Quailty, Fish etc etc

www.waterfeaturesonline.com.au

Dr Pond
It's Simple - Just Add Water!

--