Old 05-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Ka30P

Ann wrote I was out this morning to look at the pond. It had a thin cover of
ice on
top.
As I was looking down I noticed a frog on the bottom.

Ann, where abouts are you in the country? Can you expect to get much ice?
We usually recommend keeping a hole open in the ice as our ponds have so much
vegetation and living critters per gallon of water than Mother Nature's ponds.
Usually it is the build up of gasses in our ponds with no way for the gasses to
vent through the ice that kills critters in garden ponds over the winter.

Frogs work by slowing down over the winter. They don't need to stay warm or
tucked up in mud. They just need not to freeze and not to be poisoned by the
breakdown of organic matter trapped in a winter pond. Organic matter would be
any dead vegetation left over from summer and fish and frog waste.

Some frogs will die over winter just as a matter of course. They could be old,
ill, injured or had a rough time of it before winter sets in.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors