Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 AM
rtk

Ka30P wrote:
Ann wrote I was out this morning to look at the pond. It had a thin cover of
ice on

top.
As I was looking down I noticed a frog on the bottom.

Three summers ago I put a little tadpole in my 500 gallon pond. He
became a tiny frog and still had some tail when he emerged. I named him
Buddy, took some photos for my page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...tuff/Pond.html
and never saw him again. I figured he left for greener pastures. The
next year I put in another tadpole, named him Buddy junior, again got a
photo before he too left. Last year, yep, named him Buddy the third,
and that was it. I couldn't even consider that they were iced at the
bottom of the bottom and never defrosted; they just had wanderlust. Then
this year, workers emptied the whole other bigger pond and there were
three Buddies of different sizes. Who knows where they are now, which
pond? Moral of the story: they survive very well under the ice,
assuming there's a hole in the surface.

Ruth Kazez