Old 05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Allyb

This may be more specific than you want, but I bought two ramshorns, and
they had to go live in the plantless quarantine tank due to their voracious
plant consumption. When I trim my tank, I put the trimmings in for them,
and they're gone overnight.

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message
John wrote:

I just wondered what everyones opinion of Snails are? Are they good or
bad for a planted tank?
What has been your experience? Algae eaters or plant destroyers?

Depends entirely upon the species, and how you feel about snails in
general.

For example, take Pomacea bridgesii, which is commonly referred to as a
mystery snail, and sometimes an apple snail. In my experience they eat
debris and dead leaves, but never harmed live plants. Pomacea
canaliculata, also sold as an apple snail, is a living lawnmower.

In the smaller realm, snails commonly knows as 'pond snails' are plant
safe, as are Malaysian trumpet snails.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com