Old 06-12-2004, 03:24 AM
mitch

Mike LaMana wrote:

I thought that they had a dormancy requirement? Are you saying that they
can grow year round in a suitable environment?

I wanted to get some extra growth prior to planting them in beds. Too
many animals here will mess with the small plants.

thanks

Mitch

Yes, they can grow year round if placed indoors, under artificial lights.
Think about it: If plants experience appropriate temperatures, daylength,
and light frequencies (wavelengths) they have no way to know that it's
winter out there and so, generally, keep right on a-growin'. Dormancy is a
term used usually with seeds and germination for which, cold, heat,
scarification may be required. Bring 'em in and grow the heck out of them,
but make sure you plant them out early in spring and that you have equated
your light periods with what they be encountering at this plant-out date.
Mack you plant them in deep leaf-mold or other, similarly organic material.
Good luck, and watch those damned deer.
Mike

Thanks alot for the info! I'll let them get larger in doors, then
transplant them in the Spring time.

Mitch