Old 29-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Daniel Prince

"Dennis Edward" wrote:

Are things like carrots best kept in the fridge or in a pantry-type thing?
For how long? Ditto stuff like onions, potatoes, etc etc etc.

I have read/heard that carrots keep longer in the fridge if you cut
off the top half inch or so of the carrots because that part is
alive and it will take nutrients from the rest of the carrot.

Potatoes will get sweet if you put them in the fridge.

I once tried to store garlic by putting the peeled cloves in
undiluted white vinegar in the fridge. Every one of them promptly
sprouted.

I found this file somewhe

Refrigerator

Apples, Apricots, Artichokes, Asparagus, Beans (Lima, Snap, Green,
Beets, Blackberries, Broccoli (remove from plastic bag), Brussel
Sprouts (remove from plastic bag), Cabbage, Cantaloupe, Carambola,
Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cherries, Coconut, Corn, Cranberries,
Cucumbers, Dates, Eggplant, Endive, Escarole, Grapes, Greens
(Collard, Kale), Herbs (most types), Leeks, Lettuce, Melons (fresh
cut), Mushrooms (most varieties), Nectarines (ripe), Nuts, Okra,
Onions (Green, remove from plastic bag), Peaches (ripe), Peas
(green, snow), Peppers (bell, chili), Pineapple, Potatoes
(red,white), Radishes, Raspberries, Romaine Lettuce, Rutabagas,
Salad Mixes, Spinach

Room Temperature

Avocadoes (cold intolerent), Bananas (to ripen and store), Dried
Fruits, Garlic, Grapefruit, Honeydew, Kiwi (unripe), Lemons, Limes,
Mandarins, Mangoes, Melons (whole), Onions, Oranges, Papayas,
Peaches (unripe), Pears (unripe), Peppers (chili dried), Pineapple
(whole), Plums (unripe), Prunes (unripe), Potatoes, Pumpkins,
Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Watermelon

in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.