Old 02-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Anne Lurie

I'd start by checking the thermometer -- isn't 0.1 C darned near frozen
solid??

More-experienced PORGpeople (porgpersons?) can undoubtedly give you better
advice about bubblers, etc. I think I understood that releasing gases is
more important than warming fish, but I do live in the "upper South" (of the
US) according to some gardening books, so what the heck do I really know?
(Um, that the winter weather here is much more to my liking than North
Dakota & Vermont were!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Scott M." wrote in message
I have a pond that is around 3 1/2 feet deep. Right now, my thermometer
indicates that it is 0.1 degrees Celcius down there at the bottom. The Koi
and Goldfish
are still alive but isn't that a little too cold? It's not even winter
yet.
I have a bubbler to keep the surface clear and a floating 1250 Watt heater
if I need it later, but I was thinking of lowering a low wattage heater to
the bottom of the pond just to make sure the poor fish don't freeze. Is
this
a good idea?

BTW, my pond photos are at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/murchi...mK9ICBHtrk1kvG