Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 AM
gregpresley

Irises are pretty tough guys. I have tossed bits of rhizome up as I'm
working on beds and had them root wherever they landed. Many people have had
the experience of throwing iris rhizomes in their compost piles and finding
them with new leaves the next spring. Basically, the rhizomes should be
touching the dirt somewhere - that is all they really need. They don't like
wet spots however, so don't throw them in the part of your yard that turns
into a lake with every rainstorm.......
"Sue D" wrote in message
om...
I have a question for anyone who is an expert on Irises, or just
someone with a really good knowledge of them.
Is it possible to over winter common irises out of the ground all
winter in zone 6? My nieghbor has dug her's up waiting on instulation
of a pond, is it safe to over winter them out of the ground and inside
a non-building?

Thanks for any help,

Sue D.