Old 06-12-2004, 07:41 PM
EDUPSHAW

Eggshells? Reminds me of an adventure...

I once added eggshells to a garden. The work very well. Fresh shells leach
out watersoluable nitrogen. (Rodale says their composition is 1.19, 0.38,
0.14.) I think that they help buffer the pH, disolving only when the organics
make the soil sour. They obviously add calcium. They also areate the soil.
All in all, they are very beneficial, IN MODERATION lol.

I once had a half-acre under cultivation next-door to my mother-in-laws. She
went away for a week and I contacted a local egg processor about getting some
of his shells. The next day a GARBAGE TRUCK shows up, 10 TONS of fresh
eggshells dumped in my mother-in law's backyard! 10 tons of fresh eggshells in
the hot Florida sun... I had to skip work for three days and run the ol'
Troy-built from sun-up to sun-down. Made a great garden.

Ed