Old 06-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Jim Webster

Default PHEASANTS IN THE NEWS

"Robert Seago" wrote in message
In article ,

I said that the chief cause of the losses was the enormous change made in
agriculture, not the limited well intentioned, but possibly flawed
meddling by quangos, on the tiny remnant of suitable habitat left. Do you
or Oz really argue that the combination of science and market forces would
give us Marsh Frits back if conservationists were banished.

Incidentally, your last paragraph suggests that you think that I would
wish you to farm another way. I fully understand that you have to try to
make a living, in your circumstances as I do in mine. I hope that somehow
we in society can also retain at least some Marsh Frits.

one of the problems is that too many people make a living out of shroud
waving. If they don't have a scare, their budget is siphoned away to the
more imaginative who do.
The Marsh Frits are as much the victims of this, where common sense and good
management get swept aside in the face of dogma

Jim Webster