Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Stephen Henning

"Compostman" wrote:

I'm planning on enclosing a porch with glass. I will also add skylights.
Someone has told me that low E glass will stop all UV light which is
necessary for plants to live. If that is true, I'll not get the Low E
glass, but otherwise, I'd like to have it. Anyone with knowledge of this
matter?

We have "Low-E glass" on all windows and the house plants do just as
well as they did before the E glass was installed a number of years ago.

http://www.floriangreenhouse.com/glass.html: "Reducing
U.V. is important for growing plants & protecting tender seedlings.
Fact: No ultraviolet light requirements have been documented for plant
growth according to Denver Botanical Garden's Horticultural Department
and published reference materials. Using MC Low-E gives plants a
tremendous advantage since it will greatly reduce the amount of cold &
warm spots in the area increasing plant growth & room comfort."
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to