Old 07-12-2004, 06:38 AM
mel turner

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
In article , mel turner mturner@sni
pthis.acpub.duke.edu writes
Has there been any proposal to conserve Luehea speciosa Willd.?

Haven't heard of one..., and there's nothing on the web. All I found
was:

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/research/...jan04lit.shtml

That was my source. (I'd been provided with some digital photos of
Luehea grandiflora, for my website, and I was digging around the web to
educate myself about the genus, and to confirm the identification - the
plant photographed was growing in a Brasilian park with the label Luehea
divaricata - Martius Fl. Bras. has grandiflora sunk in speciosa.)

It seemed a sensible name for conservation.

Yes, since it's a familiar, common and widespread species. There's
nothing to be gained, and likely inconvenience for many, in
resurrecting "Cedrus alternifolia" to replace its specific epithet.

Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Luehea/gallery.html

Very nice photos!

cheers