Old 07-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Jim Jennings

I prune mine in the spring, just before the buds come out, only because
I enjoy the weather better then than in January.

The advice to prune "right after blooming" might be for something else.
Sometimes you can get them to bloom a second time in a season by
pruning the first set of blooms just after they fade.

BTW, they are called Crape (not Crate) Myrtles...

In article , jojo
wrote:

No science in my thought, but I generally cut mine back in January.
After all the leaves are gone and all of the twigs" snap"

"David" wrote in message
news
Greetings All,

I have several Crate Myrtles at my house and I was wondering if anyone

could
advise as to when the best time to trim these back would be? I seem to
remember my neighbors doing this about this time last year, but a few

Google
searches I did said to cut right after they bloom (Before August?). Some
central Texas specific advice would be appreciated (if applicable).

Thanks!
David

--
Jim Jennings, Bureau of Economic Geology, The University of Texas at Austin
reply to jim dot jennings at beg dot utexas dot edu