Old 07-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Frank Miles

Default Dwarf apple lean -- correction possible?

We have a dwarf Mutsu apple (great flavor) which developed a severe
"lean" after a fall rain. The tree was heavily weighted on one side
with a lot of fruit. After more rain the lowest branch is nearly touching
the ground.

Has anyone had any success in righting such a tree, possibly by applying
tension over months of time? My wife says just rip it out... and I have
to say that once the soil has been displaced it's easy to imagine the same
problem reoccurring even if we manage to straighten it up.

Tales of success or failure welcome!

-frank