Old 07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Tony Watson

I live in an area of Australia which is plagued by nematodes. For years I
have had very limited success in growing tomatoes. A local old-timer last
year told me to plant marigolds and to water around the plants with diluted
molasses (about 2 tablespoons per litre). I tried both last year and the
result was incredible. No nematode nodes, no wilt and doubling of crop.
Trouble is I don't know which worked - the molasses or the marigolds. As
stated by Jim Savage the marigolds popped up all over this year and all I
had to do was cull them. I used molasses again and although early in the
season the results look good.

Tony
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Carlock" writes:
The marigolds sound promising. I'll have to find some.

Once you have them, let some blooms develop their seed and you'll never
need to buy more seed. They set very viable seed, and it will come up
next year. It is easy to harvest and plant.