Old 07-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Charles Perry

Naomi wrote:

... I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.
So let me know which ones are fine to plant in my garden.

It would be helpful if you would include your geographic
location. Some of the nicest roses don't do well out of their
preferred areas. Also, what do you consider a "splendid shape"
Do you know there are more than a dozen roses with the name
"Julia" and three with the name "Juno?"

...I'm thinking seriously about planting is "Cardinal du Richelieu" and "Juno".

Cardinal Richelieu is a once blooming Gallica that does well most
places that have winter. It grows well here in MN. It has nice
very full "quartered" flowers that smell good. It is a kind of
purple that ages to what some call burgundy. Lots of people like
it, I think the aged bloom looks bruised. If you are interested
in once blooming Gallicas, look at Charles Mills. CM blooms open
close to red and it also blues as it ages, but in an attractive
way to my eye. The form is very double, cupped with a flat top
to the flower.

The Alba Rose, Queen of Denmark, has a nice old garden rose form
with a great smell. It is a very pretty pink, very double. The
Albas are also once blooming and hardy in the north.

I don't know any of the roses called Juno.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry