Old 07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

OK, I'll own up. A friend induced me to watch the last of the
"Nobody's ever heard of me, so don't get me out of here just yet"
series. Some bloke called Paul (presumably a member of the Bay City
Rollers, or a daytime TV presenter) had to eat, among other things,
that fine specimen of my native flora, a puke-fruit; which apparently
puts live cockroaches (why didn't the silly bugger kill them forst?)
into perspective, and the Indian bitter gourd into the luxury
category. I had switched off by then, but it seems some other
anonymity actually won: Heaven knows what _he_ had to endure.

My immediate reaction to that what what the hell were they wearing
bikinis and other skimpy clothing? A real jungle has interesting
invertebrate life, like foot-long centipedes, leeches and mosquitos
that carry interesting forms of unicellular life.

I didn't look for long enough to notice that anyone was called Paul.
I suppose that they had to be called something, but I lacked any
interest in pursuing the matter.

So consider yourself fortunate in your cardoons. There's often a
reason for foodstuffs to go out of fashion!

True. I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.