Old 08-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:12:11 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

Not that it starts with "vi", but Texas star hibiscus leaves also
looks a bit like marijuana. A number of years back, a co-worker of
mine had a Texas star hibiscus planted in his yard. He noticed that
leaves were disappearing from it and then one day the plant was
completely gone. While he regretted the loss, he found the mental
image of teenagers smoking hibiscus leaves pretty funny.

About 20 years ago we were putting in a public demo garden and used
this hibiscus in a moist area. We were using quart container-sized
plants only 18" tall and they would disappear not long after we put
them in. We replaced them about five times before giving up.

I just wonder if anyone ever planted and grew them to the point they
flowered, or if they just smoked them without thinking about it.
There are numerous plants in the mallow family with leaves like this,
including the crop fiber plant Kenaf. They are all reported to give
you a nice headache.

Rusty Mase