Old 08-12-2004, 01:20 AM
bb

On 6 Dec 2004 19:36:29 -0800, wrote:

I have a 7 year old Vanda that I recently purchased.

Over the past month or so a beautiful long spike has appeared. At the
end of the spike are about 4-5 nodules which look like they could turn
into flowers.

The spike is now turning a bit yellow near the last third of the spike.
The little 4-5 nodules / buds seem like they are turning a bit
brownish with a bit of a darker color inside them (could be the
flower).

I have never done this before. Is the spike supposed to do this or is
there a major problem going on where the spike is dying before the
flowers have even erupted / bloomed?

I have watered it every day and fertilized with an orchid bloom
fertilizer about 1/week. Any advice would be helpful. I will see if I
can post a picture sooon. I hope this can be saved. I would like to
succeed in getting an orchid to bloom finally.

Well, until somebody more experienced decides to chime in, my amateur
opinion:

Don't do anything different. Let it run it's course. Sometimes my
vanda spikes look (to me) like they are about to die off, then they
bloom just fine. Even if some of the blooms on this spike don't make
it, wait until the next spike runs it's course before getting alarmed.

Even if something is wrong with the spike, I'd say at this point
there's not a lot you can do to save it.

bb