Old 08-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Elaine Jones

Quoting from message
posted on 7 Dec 2004 by Jim Webster
I would like to add:

I confess to liking marmite

I used to like Marmite (I expect I still do) but it now makes me sneeze
violently - something to do with certain yeastforms or something which
attaches to yeast as shortly afterwards I was at home on my own and
opened a bottle of Levens Hall Special Brew.

Halfway through I developed a slight cough, then breathing problems as
the mucosa enlarged; then my diaphragm seemed to lock solid and I was
sitting on the stairs by the phone wondering whether to put through a
treble 9 when I remembered I had 2 or 3 Triludan (taken off the market)
and took one - symptoms subsided. A fortnight later I was halfway down a
pint of draught Guinness in the local (voting night for devolution) and
I felt the symptoms starting so informed Jones that we had to go home
*immediately*.

I was talking to one of the community nurses afterwards and he said that
I was very fortunate as I had been heading for anaphylactic shock,
potentially fatal. This was drastic - I couldn't contemplate being
allergic to draught Guinness!!

Subsequent occurences have been:- another Guinness, a rather special
amontillado sherry, Aussie white wine and bottled Cobra; incidence erratic
but approx once in 14 - 15 months.

The Cobra incident was in our local Indian restaurant and I'd finished
the triludan so there was no point demanding to go home. The owner of
the establishment produced a large brandy which was fortunately effective.

I've never had an incident after red wine, Newcastle Brown, Beamish or
Caffereys and I don't drink bitter; if incidents were more frequent I'd
ask for allergy tests but I don't think there's enough evidence in the
present circumstances.

--
....ElaineJ... Home Pages and FAQ of uk.food+drink.indian can be viewed at
....Kinetic... http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/index.html