Old 08-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Bill

On 12/6/04 4:12 PM, in article
, "John Savage"
wrote:

"Jim Carlock" writes:

snip
Just one more question about cucumbers. I noticed you
mentioned that cucumbers will stop fruiting. So how long
are cucumbers expected to live? I keep hoping they can
live more than 2 or 3 months but perhaps I'm dreaming.

My Mum grew cucumbers. snip I used to hand pollinate them.
The flowers are so small that bees would overlook them in favour of the
bigger zucchini blooms.

Jim, I think you are right about the mildew...I have seen the same thing
even in the heat of summer. (Sorry, I sniped that part)...the leaves turn a
whitish colour. My cucs still produced though. I like that part! But
there were three or four plants growing in the same area. When I dug them up
it appeared there was only one plant that had actually carried on. Obviously
I will have to watch more carefully if I am to know what is going on.

Jim/John,
Big bees are attracted to big flowers but there are also little bees
and/or wasps (at least in my part of the country). These little bees or
wasps can be attracted if you have some small flowered plants (besides the
cucumbers). Many certified organic farmers will grow a multitude of
flowers-some big, some small, to attract both.
The first time I visited an organic vegetable farm I saw this one row
with flowers in it..."doesn't look like a vegetable to me", I thought.
"What is that row?" I asked.
"Those are flowers to attract bees", was the response.
"Yes right", I thought. I have learned much since that first visit.
To attract smaller bees/wasps even weeds with small flowers will be a
help. Weeds are native they will therefore probably attract the native
bee/wasp...one would think anyway.
Bill
PS: I have some weeds with small flowers growing in my cedar hedge-I used to
pull them out... I often wonder just what else I have 'missed'. I hope
you are also. There is much to be learned about gardening...pests and other
stuff.