Old 08-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Steve

I would think it could be pulled back up to a better position. Maybe put
good tension on it and soak the soil with a hose and see what happens.
I'm not sure how big this tree is but if it's a dwarf, it's not huge.
I'm wondering if the trunk is still flexible? Usually by the time the
tree produces very much fruit, the wood is pretty hard.
If you do manage to improve it by either moving the roots in the soil or
by flexing the trunk, you will want to stake it to hold it in that
position for at least 2 years.
Apple trees don't need to have a nice straight trunk. Don't overlook the
possibility of creative pruning in the spring to force growth in the
direction you want.

Steve

Frank Miles wrote:

We have a dwarf Mutsu apple (great flavor) which developed a severe
"lean" after a fall rain. The tree was heavily weighted on one side
with a lot of fruit. After more rain the lowest branch is nearly touching
the ground.

Has anyone had any success in righting such a tree, possibly by applying
tension over months of time? My wife says just rip it out... and I have
to say that once the soil has been displaced it's easy to imagine the same
problem reoccurring even if we manage to straighten it up.

Tales of success or failure welcome!

-frank