Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Nick Gray

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

Is this the same as Nick Gray's "Morinda citrifolia"?

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian

markets.

Franz

Hi Franz,

No the Durian (Durio zibethinus) is a large, spiky fruit about the size of a
football, the husk is broken off and the pulpy segments are eaten, it has a
taste similar to custard. The Vomit Fruit (Morinda citrifolia) is much
smaller, about the size of an orange segment and doesn't have an outer husk
nor spines, it also has a taste to match the smell.

Picture and further description can be found he
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/morinda.htm

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk