Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Stephen Henning

I have no Idea where this urban legend came from...it's common in NY state
as well. I have never seen a stature proscribing transplanting of Kalmia.

It is not urban legend. In most states it is a violation of the state's
Environmental Conservation Laws to collect or destroy plants without the
permission of the landowner. These regulations gives landowners
additional rights to prosecute people who collect plants without
permission. Usually permission is construed to mean a receipt or other
written form of permission.

New York lists its protected plants at:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...pnp/index.html

there are three Kalmia's on its list.
Kalmia angustifolia SHEEP LAUREL
Kalmia latifolia MOUNTAIN LAUREL
Kalmia polifolia BOG LAUREL

New Jersey lists its protected plants at:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...endplants.html

the only one on its list is:
KALMIA POLIFOLIA PALE-LAUREL
--