Old 08-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Peter Jason

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I have never personally grown potatoes, so I am not sure, but don't the

tubers
grow from the bottom of the stem, near the root collar? If you grafted it

onto
the roots of another species, how could it produce tubers?
Sounds to me like trying to graft feathers onto a carp & calling it a

flying
fish.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Which brings up the point that birds may have evolved from flying fish,
because these can gather up a lot of momentum before launching themselves
into the air.

My interest in grafts and hybrids is tweaked because of the difficulty in
discovering the Darwinian 'missing links', and therefore brand new species
may have been produced by extra-species matings and the subsequent fusing of
unlike chromosomes. E.g. insects and lizards.

Remember I suggested it first!

More patents may be obtained from:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm