Old 08-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Anne Lurie

Susan,

I had decent luck with lettuce growing in partial shade; onions might work
well too.

I believe that peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. need a lot of sun (although
I sometimes put shade cloth over my staked tomatoes during the hottest part
of the summer). You might try growing tomatoes or peppers in big pots,
though, since you could move the pots around to maximize the sun. Let me
rephrase that: I don't mean moving the pots on a daily basis, just placing
them where they can get sunlight. "Patio Tomatoes" for example.

According to
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...container.html,
"Nearly all vegetable plants will grow better in full sunlight than in
shade. However, leafy crops such as lettuce, cabbage, greens, spinach and
parsley can tolerate more shade than root crops such as radishes, beets,
turnips and onions. The root vegetables can stand more shade than those
which bear fruit, such as cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. One
advantage to container gardening is mobility. Container gardening makes it
possible to position the vegetables in areas where they can receive the best
possible growing conditions."

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
. com...
My husband wants to start growing food, and much of our yard is shaded.
Suggestions? (Besides cutting down trees, which is likely to happen as
well, since he also wants to get more solar power).

--
Susan Hogarth : 919-906-2106
be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton