Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Jim Carlock

Flowering lemon basil seems to be an attraction for at least
one bee. He's been coming back everyday for the last few
days and I normally don't see that feller until I've messed
with one particular lemon basil plant (which happens to be
flowering). The wasps seems to stick to the cucumber
flowers or some PigWeed (amaranthus) and other flowers.

Right now I'm keeping an eye on a Japanese yamato
cucumber plant. It's defined as "burpless". It doesn't look
much like the MarketMore or Pointsett 76 cucumbers. I'm
hoping the fruit will continue to grow. These yamato cukes
are growing long and skinny. I'm hoping they'll get some
more girth but if not I'll be happy just to get one fruit. The
first two I messed with never fruited. I had them in the
direct sun and I don't think cukes like the direct sun. They
seem to do better under some shade.

Something interesting:
RedRoot PigWeed starting to grow with a hungarian wax
pepper. I starting to see that redroot pigweed can be very
obnoxious. So I chopped the pigweed up that was in the
pot with the pepper. I tried to pull the pigweed out of the
pot but it seems to be rooted very well. So rather than really
mess things up I left it in. This is only one pepper plant in the
pot though and it has 7 peppers and is growing more as well.
Somewhere last year I read that redroot pigweed brings
nutrients up to the surface, and I'm wondering if this actually
helped the pepper plant.

I'm seeing where this can be an obnoxious plant though. I
don't recommend letting this things come to full bloom. :-/

I'm trying the 1 tablespoon of milk in a spray bottle with
maybe a quart of water sprayed on the underside of the
cuke leaves.

There anything that I can add that might help the cuke
grow fruits? This cuke didn't get the slow fertilizer, but
I have given it a dose of 15/30/15 stuff, which appears
to be really quick acting.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.