Old 09-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Siouxzi

Edamame are basically a fancy soybean, and a popular appetizer in
Japan. They're delicious, healthful, and --I'm happy to say--becoming
cheaper and easier to get in the supermarkets. But I'd love to try
growing some. Where did you find seeds?

Cheers
Sue

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:48:10 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

I tried edamame a year or so ago, but it was a tiny patch, and the plants
just fell over, as they did not seem as sturdy as green bean plants. (I
also don't believe plants anchor themselves as well in our sandy soil, vs.
the clay that most Triangle gardeners have.)

Interestingly, I put a little garden fence around the green beans I planted
this spring because a stray dog insisted upon sleeping on the nice soft dirt
in the veggie garden! The fence helped keep the bean plants from flopping
over, so I may do it again. Plus, we have adopted said dog, although for
the time being he seems quite happy in his doghouse!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Raleighgirl"

[snipped]

As long as we're talking veggies, does anyone here have
experience growing food grade soybeans (edamame)? Our first
attempt was not particularly successful so i'm wondering if the
plant needs something special in order to produce beans.

Raleighgirl