Old 09-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam Moore" wrote ...
I was lucky enough to have a few hours at Abbotsbury gardens last
weekend.
Just by the exit from the shop to the gardens is a tall (at least 8ft)
dahlia in bloom. Large white flowers, lots of buds. Enquiry told us
dahlia imperialis. (Why do the things you really want to know the name
of have no labels?!)
My friend looked it up in the Plantfinder. A certain Hillhouse
Nursery lists it!
Do you sell seeds, Sacha?
My garden isn't as hardy as Abbotsbury, but I'd love to try it next
year.

BTW didn't notice anything particularly out of season the ie no
snowdrops etc.

Well mine doesn't flower, ever.
According to Ray at Hill House, where I obtained it, it needs to get up to
the roof of his large greenhouse, about 18ft, before it flowers and then it
has goldy coloured blooms I'm told.
You say the one you saw in flower had white flowers, and David Hill said a
few months ago his has pink flowers, and both of them flower at a much
smaller size (half size) than the Hill House ones.
So, three varieties of one species? Hybrids? Anyone know?

Ours has been out in the garden for the last few years and survived the
winters, but no chance of a flower, nice architectural plant though.

--
Regards
Bob