Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Salty Thumb

(paghat) wrote in
news
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
Light is one of the problems here. It's been incessantly
cloudy, and even though the plants are in the best window
in the house, it's still not enough. I'm considering a plant
light, but at the same time, I'm trying to keep the utility bills
down.

Flourescent lighting uses very little wattage so electrical costs of

snip

Anybody use relatively new CFL reflector type flood lights? I guess most
are around 18 W, 950 lumens ... don't know how that compares to total
output of 4' tubes, but it should be easier to direct the output and
should not need any special fixture(?). I have some of the newer mini-
twist CFL bulbs (13W, ~800 lumens) and the only complaint is although
they are instant-on, they don't reach full brightness immediately when
the air temperature is low (say 65 F). Probably half dead rosemary will
not complain as much.