Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Salty Thumb

"Jim Carlock" wrote in
m:

What about creating a distillation deal? I don't know the
full details about this, but somewhere in a Genetics class a
full century ago, a wise man indicated that pure water could
be obtained by heating the water to a boiling temperature,
and I always suspected that that was untrue, but maybe it
became pure enough to be classified as pure? I think a
coffee pot does this.

A water distillation apparatus (which is surely well over 100 years older
than the genetics class mentioned) relies on the boiling point of water
to separate it from solutes, or to say in plain English, crap, of higher
boiling point. The vapor is diverted to a separate area where it
condenses. The solutes (crap) largely remain at the bottom of the heated
area and the pure water plus anything else that managed to hitch a ride
is collected at an exit location. A typical coffee maker (and I'm not
talking about J.P. Moneybag's Ka-ching Distilling Coffee Maker), boils
water forcing it up a tube to the drip area, but does nothing to divert
pure water vapor to a separate location and solutes (crap) can remain in
liquid solution although if you have hard water, some of it will
precipitate out and form scale around the heating element as the water
boils away.