Old 09-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Eric Schreiber

Mike wrote:

Has anyone with an eclipse 12 made a DIY lighting setup thats cheaper?

Eclispe hoods are great, but they do tend to be a bit anemic for
lighting a planted tank. I'm having moderate success with the standard
lighting in an Eclipse three-gallon, but all I've got in there is Java
fern, a small bush of wisteria, and some najas - all fairly robust and
non-demanding plants.

I upgraded the lighting in a System 2 hood (for 20-gallon tank) but I
don't have any experience doing so for the smaller tanks. However, a
good starting point would be AHSupply (http://ahsupply.com/twox.htm).
You could almost certainly retrofit your hood to take two 13-watt kits
from AHSupply, which would be plenty of light.

Check this link for how someone added the AHSupply kits to a 6-gallon
ecplise... www.turetsky.org/nanoreef/index.htm

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com