Old 10-12-2004, 03:23 AM
High Plains Thumper

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"High Plains Thumper" wrote ...
"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"meirman" wrote ...

I bought this Craftsman lawnmower second hand, and when
I got home, the mower looked even nicer than I thought,
but had no spark plug. I took plugs out of my two old
mowers (which don't work or don't work well) and the
hole was too big for them. I went to Sears and all the
plugs they had for sale had the same size threads as the
ones I had tried, 1/2 inch in diameter, which I guess is
14MM.

I think the hole is 18MM now.

Just weld it shut, then drill and re-tap the threads.

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or
small engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

What's ****ing impractical about that? I do it all the
time. Just weld it shut and redrill. Use MIG or TIG, take
your time to avoid voids (pun not intended), then drill it
and thread it. Use an end-mill to spotface the seat for
good seal.

piece of cake.

Well, if you think about it, if you have access to a machine
shop with a MIG/TIG welder and milling machine or someone who
is competent and does, yes, could be a solution. However if
it is finding a small engine spark plug that will do the exact
same thing in a larger diameter, I'd think that would be the
easier way out.

- HPT