Old 10-12-2004, 08:36 AM
paghat

"Toonartist" wrote in message
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers.

Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Cut them into slivers, mix with slivers of onions & a few garlic cloves,
add ground black pepper & a bit of paprika & a bit of fresh basil (dried
basil if that's all there is). Fry in wok or large iron skillet at a high
temperature in olive oil keeping it stirred until the sweet peppers & the
onions turn transluscent. Put in sterile mason jar(s). This is a simple
yet superior relish for hamburgers or veggy burgers, hotdogs or tofu dogs,
& can even be pretty good spicing up a fritata.

It can be tweeked with other ingredients or herbs according to one's own
likes. If there are green tomatoes at the end of the season that won't
have time to finish ripening, those can be mixed in the bell pepper
relish, & I've even added "maypop" seeds & rinds together (from
passionflower vines), just so long as the bell peppers & onions are the
dominant ingredient. Mixing other colors of bell peppers gives it a
particular festive look & can be put on the table in little japanese cups
& a tiny spoon for sake of presentation. In the refrigerator this relish
lasts as long as it needs to last.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"