Old 09-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Newbie with Serissa Foetida

Jim Lewis wrote, with great restraint for a founding member of the IHSC (I Hate
Serrissa Club):

1. It is a Serissa. WhenEVER they are moved to a new location,
they sulk, let their leaves turn brown and fall off, and
generally thumb their nose at you.

Very true. Don't panic - with reasonable care, and a bit of beginners luck, it will
recover nicely.

2. You are watering too much... Overwatering is the largest single cause of
death for bonsai with new owners.

Yep. Also, if there are rocks glued to the surface of the soil, remove them _now_
and fill the space left with good potting soil or bonsai soil. The rocks will
interfere with water penetration.

3. A north window (especially a north window in the UK) will
never provide enough light. Even a south window may not give
enough. Others can advise as to fluorescents or other kinds of
grow lights.

Mine are very happy under fluorescent lights. The cheapest and most readily
available is what in the U.S. is called a shop light - an ordinary 4 foot fixture.
You don't need to worry about expensive Gro-lite tubes - ordinary cool white will
do fine. Set it up so that the tubes are just a few inches above the plant. Leave
it on for 16 or so hours per day (a timer will help here). It will, as Jim
predicted, go into a snit and lose many of its leaves (see #1 above). Cut back on
the water and be patient - the leaves will grow back.

Don't use incandescent lights - they are too hot. Serrissas like to be a bit on the
cool side, anyway.

When temperatures outside stay about 40 degrees F
it will prefer being outdoors. I don't think your bedroom is
gonna be its preferred location.

Mine enjoy the bright shade on my porch, with a bit of morning and afternoon sun.
See #1 for what will happen when you move it outdoors. ;-)

Good luck, and welcome.

Jay Sinclair
Zone 5, Michigan USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++