Old 10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
what do folk think about lime?

my gardening book has a section on the importance of liming,

releases
nutrients, counteracts acidity etc; apparently it's all things
wonderful

but local garden shops don't stock it, and the one that does isn't
getting any more once it's gone. He eyes my grey beard and says

it's
only used by old people and nobody else bothers

"Nobody else" can all take a long walk off a short pier, then! Try
the nearest farmers' supplier if B&Q haven't got it. If _they_
haven't got any, I suppose it means your local soil is already
alkaline.

It's easy to overdo it, of course (don't they say "Lime makes father
rich and son poor"?); and some soils never want it, while many others
won't need it for years.

Mike.