Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
BAC

"Rooney" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:23 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Rooney" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:43:21 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Practical work would be a little tricky.

I wouldn't fancy undergoing surgery at the hands of someone whose
practical experience consisted of two weeks at summer school!

if I remember correctly, in the 19th century, if you failed your first

year
medical exam as a French medical student, you could get a ticket

"competent
to practice medicine in the colonies"

Jim Webster

Ha ha! But to be fair, the colonies were no doubt better off with
first year failures than with what they had beforehand.

Now, of course, the boot's on the other foot, and we are denuding our
former colonies of medical staff :-(