Old 10-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote ...

[...]
On the garden I do use some lime as I throw some Growmore about

and
understand that includes lime.

Lime is not declared on the packaging.
I have never heard of Growmore containing lime.
I have spent a substantial time using Google to find if Growmore
contains lime, and drew a complete blank.

Glad you did that: I raised an eyebrow when I read the original
message. Growmore is a standard NPK fertiliser, and certainly
shouldn't contain lime: it would throw one's calculations out. (Not
that I calculate!)

As an aside, I found stuff called "Organic Growmore" which appears

have similar application rates as Ordinary Growmore. I wonder

which
organic processes can yield such concentrated chemicals.

I suppose they make and then evaporate aqueous solutions, which seems
an expensive procedure. I imagine guano is involved. I think
naturally-occurring nitrates would be allowed under organic rules, so
Chile nitre could be used too.

Mike.