Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Franz Heymann

"Hamish" wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

yes, this is criminal.
The question has to be asked, can we not train our own because

there just
aren't the suitable people, or because government cannot get it

within
budget? Either way it looks pretty bad

I think it is in the selection for training. Many Engineers I have

met
over the years had considered medical training when they were in

their teens
and had been advised out of the idea by careers teachers. The reason

being
that it was difficult to get into medical school and they did not

have the
right educational track record.
So in the UK selection is front end and many people who could have

made
medical practioners are never able to prove theirselves.

Perhaps overseas there is more opportunity to enter training and

proof of
capability is passing the training.

The front end selection was I believe something driven by the

union of
doctors who did not want the market over supplied and cause

enemployment in
existing doctors.

I can confirm that a colleage who was Dean of the Medical Faculty at
my University gave me the same information.

Franz