Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:42:28 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:
On 11 Dec 2004 02:31:56 -0800, (scuffler) wrote:

my gardening gloves got wet and now they are solid stiff .
is there any way i can get them soft again or are they finished

for
good ?

Wear them.
Happens to my 'chrome' gloves all the time - usually after mowing

the
lawn.
Alternatively, take them to bed with you!

I don't _think_ you're meant to do anything to chrome leather (the
scuffed grey kind) other than just use it. "Hydrophane" or "Flexalan"
from a horsey shop are good treatments for leather, though: I paint
it on with a brush, and a pint tin lasts for years if you aren't
doing a tack-room full of stuff. (If it didn't last years, I suppose
I'd be talking about a 500ml tin!)

There are plenty of leather treatments about ( Liberon Leather Cream
is a good all-rounder, and widely available via hardware stores ), but
they're all really designed for 'finished' leather rather than the
rough hide used for bog-standard gardening gloves.
And with a new pair costing a few quid, and given that they rarely
last that long anyway ( assuming you're doing gardening, rather than
just pointing at things ), oiling your gloves seems like overkill.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk