Old 11-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Ulmus aka Elm

In a message dated 12/11/2004 11:03:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have been given a Bonsai tree called Ulmus. Is this an indoor or outdoor
tree?

An opening caveat. I have heard that importing Elms into the UK is
banned.
Ulmus is the species name for all Elms, and they are outdoor trees,
although in colder climates they will need protection of their roots in a pot.
A common Elm used in Bonsai is the Chinese Elm, Ulmus parvifolia.
There are a lot of cultivars of this Elm with very small leaves. In colder areas
the Chinese Elms will be deciduous (lose their leaves in winter) but in warmer
areas, such as Florida some will hold their leaves all year.
It always helps us to know where you are geographically.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++